How often do we take time for ourselves? If you are like me, there are times when the perpetual motion of life moves us through without us even noticing. I decided for the weekend that I am going to make a concerted effort to relax. I have decided to "shoo" my ego away and not feel guilty when the ego says" I'm lazy for not being always occupied."
As a child, I would often hear that "idle time is the devil's work." I have discovered that is absolutely correct. Idle time is the devil's work because the devil is your ego not wanting you to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I'm not speaking of those of us who are simply lazy and desire the fruits and not interested in the effort required to obtain them. I'm speaking to those of us, who are willing to strive for our fruits, however, at times we don't allow ourselves to just "sit and breathe." Our ego carries heavy baggage; some of which we packed ourselves and other items that "someone else" packed for us and we continue to carry items that should have been thrown out "years ago." If we don't throw them out they only increase in weight because we are carrying ours and some that belong to others. That's some heavy stuff (no pun intended:)
I'm more aware that the work ethic that my parents passed to me has a double edged sword. My work ethic is strong; however, when it's time to relax, I find that the ego is always whispering in my ear that I could be doing something other than simply "taking time for myself." Remember, if you have a tendency to be lazy, that's an entirely different conversation which "you and you" need to discuss. I would suggest having that conversation as quickly as possible:)
So, this weekend, I am going to do the following:
1. Watch my games in peace without feeling the need to work at the same time.
2. Lay back in my recliner with my feet up and fully concentrate on being idle.
3. Take in a movie. Most likely will see "Gravity" with Sandra Bullock as the visuals look amazing.
4. Sleep in on Saturday and awake without feeling the day is wasted because it's 8:00am.
5. Once an hour remind myself that I am one of the luckiest people on the planet because I am doing what I love to do.
6. When my ego begins to whisper in my ear about "wasting time" tell her "find someone else to bother" because today I'm "taking time for me."
Enjoy your weekend!
Until the next time!